Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

On Wandering Through Life

At the door of the monastery, place a sensible old man who knows how to take a message and deliver a reply, and whose age keeps him from roaming about. RB80.66.1

Then, there will be no need for the monks to roam outside, because this is not at all good for their souls. RB80.66.7

There are days when I am particularly anxious to find a distraction in my life...any distraction is fine, just something to relieve my boredom, make life interesting or amuse me when I really do not want to deal with the present moment. Benedict seems to be familiar with something similar occuring is his community. In setting up the role of the porter (receptionist at the door), Benedict clearly states twice that wandering, roaming around, or looking for distractions are not highly value qualities.

Benedict seems to say that this desire to escape the dailiness of life can be a sign of immaturity and is not helpful to the health of the soul. If I keep running away everytime something is difficult, then I am probably impeding my own growth--growth in holiness, growth in maturity, growth in virtue. I am never discover my true potential. I may miss many opportunities to both realize my own weakness and vulnerabilities and my inner strength.

I am a person who rarely wants to miss out on new adventures. If I can learn to focus on the potential for new experiences when tempted to run away and find something more interesting, I will see even the painful or the mundane as opportunities for greater growth and success.

When tempted to go through life hopping from distraction to distraction I need to remember to stop and ask myself: What new opportunity for growth am I trying to avoid.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment