Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Wisdom of the Young and the Elders

Absolutely nowhere shall age automatically determine rank. Remember that Samuel and Daniel were still boys when they judged their elders (1Sam3; Dan 13.44-62). RB80.63.5-6

One of the blessings of my life is the opportunity that I have had to live with people of various ages most of my life. Growing up, grandparents, great-grandparents, and older relatives and family friends were always included as part of our home structure. Our home was multigenerational by design. Although I did not fully appreciate it at the time, this aspect of my early years has had a significant impact on most of my life and on building my character. I am grateful for the experience.

In my 25+ years as a member of this monastic community, I have also been fortunate to have developed many relationships across our various age groups. I treasure the many lessons that I have learned from our elders--lessons of faith, lessons of fidelity, lessons of courage, strength and grace. I am indeed very fortunate in this way.

Here are some of the bits of wisdom that I have learned along the way:


  • Life does not always have to move at a fast speed. There is a gentleness acquired in doing things slowly and thoughtfully.

  • Plan ahead for life--learn a hobby, develop some leisure time activities, keep acquiring new skills. It is important to have skills in place for a happy and healthy future.

  • Take time to listen. There is life wisdom to be learned in hearing stories from the past.

  • Remain faithful to values. There are many things that can clutter my life, I need to remember the essentials.

  • Be patient and loving--with others and with myself. Sometimes the hardest lesson is to remember to be patient with myself and not take myself so seriously.

What life lessons am I imparting on others today?


Sr. Catherine, OSB




No comments:

Post a Comment