Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Night Silence

Sound, noise and words are my friends. I was definitely born to talk and am always looking for aural stimulation. It is not unusual to find me in the evenings working in front of a tv set or with a radio, cd, or ipod going. Despite all of this love for sound, I also have a specially affinity for night silence.

Growing up, I learned to love silence by waking in the early mornings to the sound of my grandparents praying a rosary or an early morning novena. I would get up quietly and sit in the corner as they prayed and began their daily chores. Even now, on sleepless nights, I enjoy just lying there feeling God's presence envelop all of us and protect us. It is somehow comforting for me to begin my day with a fair amount of silence. (My preference in life is not to speak until at least my second cup of coffee.)

In the silence, I get to know myself better; I become aware of what is happening within me and can focus on my true responses to the outside world. It helps make me a more complete person. Although many would be surprised about my fondness for silence, I cannot image a life without those periods of quiet.

Sr. Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment