Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

On Being Received Back

We all have times of pulling back a little from community; times of feeling that we need to reevaluate who we are and why we are part of the team. I know that there have been times like this in my life. St. Benedict provides a directive on how a person is to be accepted back into the group after a time of distance or isolation. The answer is INVOKE PRAYER for the person being received back.

About 13 years ago, I went through a period where I had definitely lost my focus. I could hardly tell you why I had entered the Community much less why I was staying and what my monastic goals were. It was a difficult time and the Community offered me a way to refocus and re-enter our life if I chose to take it. At the time, it definitely did not feel very loving but somehow I knew that there was wisdom in taking the time to pray and refocus my life. After about six months, I returned from the experience much stronger than before. The one thing that kept me growing through that whole time was prayer--my prayer and the prayer connection I had with the Community. I grew alot during that time, especially in my appreciation for Community and the bonds that exist among us.

I pray daily for the grace to continue growing and learning how to apply the Rule in my life daily.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Sr Catherine - thanks for sharing from your experience. I'm grateful, too!

    ReplyDelete