Search This Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

Preferring Nothing to the Work of God

Nothing, according to Benedict, is to be put before or ahead of the work of God.

That causes me to pause because I am a project/task oriented person. If I am right in the middle of a project, I can tend to see the bells toll for prayer or meals as an interruption rather than a gentle reminder of prayer time or meal time. Sometimes, I have a difficult time seeing that community's intrusion into my plans might actually be a blessing.

Benedict's directive to drop whatever we are doing and heed the bell's call is meant to remind us to keep life in perspective. There is no project that I am working on that is more important than community needs. My work will still be waiting for me when I return.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment