Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

No...A Kind Word...The Best Gift

Some days we think the prioress and her assistants are suffering from “No-itis.” For every permission we ask, the answer is “No.” “No” is that 2-letter word that is so difficult for some of us to say and so difficult for some of us to take. But “No” is probably one of those kind words that carries a special gift. Benedict agrees that sometimes the answer must be “no.” If I have so many tasks I really don’t have time to do another, when someone asks me to take on something else, I should say “no.” It is better to say “no” than to grumble about all I have to do. If I have three suits hanging in my closet, and ask for a new one, the cellarer should say “no;” if I ask to go out to dinner three nights in a row, the prioress should say “no”.

Benedict reminds us that we have a responsibility to each person in the community, a responsibility to serve one another in generosity of spirit. And, on those occasions when we forget our responsibility, “no” is the kindest word and the best gift we can receive.

Sr. Veronica, OSB

1 comment:

  1. If I have three suits hanging in my closet, and ask for a new one, the cellarer should say “no;” if dicas para presentes I ask to go out to dinner three nights in a row, the prioress should say “no”.

    ReplyDelete