Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Taking What is Offered

I enjoy eating. And although I was a somewhat picky eater growing up, I am not a very picky eater now but I do have my quirks.

St. Benedict spends time listing what the consequences are for being late for meals, leaving early and refusing what is offered (Chapter 43). Although the actual consequences seem a little harsh in our time, the premise behind the punishment still holds true. Benedict is trying to order the daily meals so that it does not become a total free for all.

When I lived at home, I had the luxury of being a picky eater. When I moved from home, though, my parents reminded me that that was about to end--or I might go very hungry sometimes. My first night at the monastery was my eating nightmare. The menu included: liver and onions, mashed turnips, gravy, and brussel sprouts. It was definitely an eating test for me. I made it through dinner though and learned that I could put up with lots of things if I had a larger motivation.

Looking back 26 years, I am sometimes amazed at how big that first night seemed. There is wisdom in Benedict's thoughts on order and meals. There does need to be a basic standard from which to begin looking at the norm.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment