Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Avoiding Excesses

I can have it ALL--everything that I can dream or imagine.

Growing up that could easily have been seen as my philosophy of life.

Since I am capable, independent and resourceful, I grew up truly believing that there was not much that could place limits on my capacities, especially since I also had an abundance of energy. As I have matured in life, I have come to realize that I am really not unstoppable (possessing all capabilities) and that all of my abilities are a direct gift from God (not a product of my own creativity). It has taken many years but I have slowly learned to accept my human limitations, my dependence of God and my own frailty.

This awareness is what Benedict speaks of when addressing moderation. There needs to be a conscious balance in our lives. I need to work everyday to carve out space for God, leisure and self-care. I work to achieve equilibrium in my life so that my lack of balance does not unduly affect my work or those around me.

How am I balancing my life today.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment