Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Preparation

Today we hear about the reader of the week in the monastery. The reader holds an important task since the service of the reader is required at common prayer and at common table. Many monastic houses have reading during at least one of the daily meals.

The directive from Benedict about the preparation necessary to fulfill this role is applicable in monastic settings and in many other group situations. Preparation is paramount for St. Benedict. He states that the reader should be someone who is prepared for the task not just a person who happens to pick up the book at the last minute...with little or no preparation.

Why is preparation so important? I know that if I happen to slide into my prayer place 30 seconds before the bell signaling the beginning of prayer I am not going to be as prepared for prayer. I will tend to be more distracted, more frazzled and on edge. In the same way, when I am a teacher or a student and do not come prepared for class with my materials, my homework and my book, I will probably be much less productive and focused.

Being prepared for the important tasks in my day are necessary. What do I need to do to be prepared to welcome God into my life today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment