Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Being a Wise Steward

The abbot must exercise the utmost care and concern for wayward brothers, because 'it is not the healthy who need a physician, but the sick' (Matt 9.12). Therefore, he ought to use every skill of a wise physician and send in 'senpectae,' that is, mature and wise brothers who, under the cloak of secrecy, may support the wavering brother, urge him to be humble as a way of making satisfaction, and 'console him lest he be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow' (2Cor2.7). RB80.27.1-3

Benedict gives us another portion of his expectations for the leader and for community members today. He understands that there will be some issues that will need to be resolved within the group (attitudes or behaviors that need to be modified). Benedict places the responsibility for addressing the situation with the person on the leader.

The superior is to be available to provide support, correction, healing and care. Since in some cases the leader might be part of the problem, Benedict also makes arrangements for others--whom the leader trusts and appoints to be present as a support to the member.

This principle can be applied to various situations in life. When I was in elementary school I was about as uncoordinated as a person can be. Eye-hand coordination was a foreign concept to me. In 3rd grade when we were learning to shoot baskets in basketball (and I still couldn't do it), the PE teacher arranged for a friend and me to spend some classtime just doing shooting practice. We would get an extra minute at recess the next day for every basket I made. I never became a great basketball player but I could get a few baskets eventually. I was more interested in the extra recess time--and not feeling so awkward in PE.

How can I be a wise helper to those in need today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment