Search This Blog

Monday, November 15, 2010

Compassion for the Needy

Chapters 36 and 37 of the Rule (yesterday's chapter and today's) deal with the compassion that needs to be shown to those among us with special needs. We are all among the needy at different times whether through illness, age, strength, or personal weakness. There are always some among us that need our love in a special way.

This reality is something that I need to remember daily. Being fairly healthy, capable and independent, I tend to lose patience when I feel that I am having to adjust MY plans or timetable to help another...even when it really is not costing me anything. I get impatient waiting in lines, being stuck in traffic behind a slower driver or having to patiently wait to get my meal in our buffet line. I need to constantly find ways to reframe these times into something positive rather than more infuriating annoyances.

Here are some ways in which I might do this in even small ways:

  • When stuck in traffic, use the opportunity to use the Jesus Prayer.
  • Being grateful for my health and independence--and thanking God for that especially when needing to wait behind someone who needs extra help.
  • Taking time to notice the beauty of the world around me...something I sometimes miss when I am either rushing around or stressing about having to wait for something.
  • Looking for ways that I can help at least one person who needs assistance--even if it's just with a smile or a hug.

How else can I learn patience and compassion for others today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sr. Catherine,

    I just found your blog and spent 10 minutes browsing through it -today, being Ash Wednesday I had decided to start reading some Catholic blogs on a daily basis as a Lent effort.

    I found your post "Compassion for the Needy" a VERY GOOD one, which have enjoyed reading and thinking how I need that view for myself. I will remember you next time am stuck in one of the situations you described (or similar).

    Thanks for sharing with us your wisdom and talents as a writer.

    God bless,

    Jose, Ottawa, Canada

    ReplyDelete