Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2010

Consistent Tardiness

Some people always seem to be running at least a little late no matter what the circumstance. On the other hand, there are some (like me) who would rather be 30 minutes early than even 1 minute late. For us, "being right on time" is one step away from being late.

Chapter 43 deals with habitual lateness at prayers and at the table. Benedict seems to understand that there are times for everyone when they will be running late. (Too much traffic on the way in, an emergency occurs, some sort of delay along the way) Benedict even makes accommodations for there to be two instances of tardiness--just so it doesn't become a habit. Once it becomes a pattern, Benedict recommends that the person be excluded from the common table or other community activities. In a sense, if I really want to be separated from the group so much that I always show up late...Benedict suggests giving me what I seem to want--to separate me from the rest in a formal way.

Although I may not be late to activities, there are much more subtle ways in which I show that I am choosing to be separate.
  • I can sit back and observe activities rather than fully participate. I look around and evaluate what is happening around me. I can keep pretty good notes at times.
  • I can find ways to proclaim how different I am from the group; thus setting myself apart.
  • I can participate externally while pouting or finding fault with the activity.

How am I choosing to separate myself from the group today? Am I a team member or do I undermine the team?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment