Search This Blog

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Getting What I Need

It is written: 'Distribution was made to each one as he had need' (Acts 4:35). By this we do not imply that there should be favoritism--God forbid--but rather consideration for weaknesses. RB80.34.1-2

Parents will often say that they love all of their children...but show that love and care in different ways for each. Everyone responds in a different manner to various situations; being an individual particular interests and need should be taken into account. For example, my younger brother could easily be coaxed into doing things with the promise of more tech time; whereas I would probably more interested in a new book or more social time with friends.

Today, Benedict reminds us that all need to receive what they need. There is really no 'one size fits all' in any community--family, team, classroom, workplace. The talented leader is able to look at the group and assess what will be the most successful for the whole. Do they need more encouragement? Do they need to be challenged? Do they respond well to more time? What is the 'magic blend' for each person on the team?

When I am called to be a leader even in a small way, I need to remember the individual as well as the whole. I need to be aware of what will help the group as well as what the member needs to succeed.

How am I being aware of the needs of those I work with today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment