Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Base Desires

Truly, we are forbidden to do our own will, for Scripture tells us: Turn away from your desires (Sir 18:30). RB80.7.19

There are days when I seem to desire living in a fantasy world--times when daydreaming and constructing imaginary empires are the rule of the day. These are not necessarily my best
days--at least not my most productive days. On these occasions, I can spend hours planning the future and thinking of outcomes that are not meant to be.

Fantasy can quickly move me from reality. At times, my dream world can seem more appealing that what is happening around me. Benedict was aware of the tendency to desire to have things my way--with the outcomes that I can manufacture in my imagination. He uses a piece of wisdom from the book of Sirach. This verse comes from a larger section of pithy statements about the value of self-control and reflection in life.

One translation of this verse from Sirach speaks of following base desires and restraining appetites (NRSV) instead. What do I need to do to make sure that I am not following every whim or inclination that passes through my awareness?


  1. I can practice observing my thoughts and become familiar with the source of my thoughts. Which thoughts or impulses are leading toward God and which can potentially lead me away from my true goal.

  2. Become familiar with silence so that I can be more attuned to God's voice within my heart.

  3. Remain connected with God throughtout the day--calling on God's assistance at random points of the day.

Sr. Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment