Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Running Toward God

I have always been fascinated with things that move quickly--runners, rabbits, rushing water, airplanes. Things that move at a dizzying speed have always attracted my attention. I also set a goal on speed for myself. I think that what attracted me most about rapidly moving objects was the energy and force that are present. Since I am a very high energy person, I can easily relate to things that carry lots of vibrancy within them.

Today, Benedict speaks of running to do in obedience what will gain us eternal life while there we still have time to renounce our former way of life. There seems to be an urgency in this invitation to leave my former attitudes, ways, opinions behind and to start with fervor on this new path toward God and eternal life.

Part of me would like to believe that my decision to abandon my former way of life was a one time deal that was completed years ago when I entered the monastery. I am realistic enough to know however that this is an on-going, life-long process. That is both good and bad news for me. The good news is that I can always start over again and re-commit myself to this process of spiritual growth. The bad news is that I will never reach the finish line where I can just sit back and coast through life on my merit. That is not part of this journey.

My question today is: What can I do to help myself keep the initial energy of my original commitment going today?



  • I can set aside a few minutes daily to recall where God has blessed me each day.

  • I can call on God's grace and mercy to be with me during the day--something to do while I am waiting in traffic for the light to change, waiting for an appointment, sitting on hold on the phone.

  • I can remind myself to stop and take a breath (especially when I am in a frenzied mode about whatever is happening in life). The ability to stop and take a few breaths can do wonders to calm and refocus me.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment