Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

Set Apart Through Good Works and Humility

Only in this are we distinguished in his sight: if we are found better than others in good works and in humility. RB80.2.21

I like to be special and set apart. I like to be the one noticed, the one praised and held up for some reason.

Benedict today gives us the criteria for being set apart in community. We are to be raised to a different level of honor only if we are found to be better than others in good works and in humility. So, if I am looking to be praised then I need to make a conscious decision to serve others to the best of my ability and to be selfless in that service. I am to do the service freely out of compassion and concern not out of a desire to receive reward, admiration or adulation. Actually, in order for this to be a truly selfless act done in humility, it needs to be done with no expectation of any notice. I almost needs to be done quietly and secretly.

My tendency is to announce my good works every step of the way so that others can recognize the effort made. Unfortunately, as a friend of mine reminds me often, if I announce my selfless deeds they really weren't that selfless or meritorious from the start. Also, in these situations, I already received my acknowledgement, so probably most of the merit is reduced.

I long to be more generous in my actions and less self-centered. May God give me the grace necessary to accomplish this.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment