Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cutting Out Sin

He should not gloss over the sins of those who err, but cut them out while he can, as soon as they begin to sprout, remembering the fate of Eli, priest of Shiloh (1 Sam 2:11-4:18). RB80.2.26

The superior is not to overlook the sins of the followers but address them as soon as they begin to appear. For most of my life, I have been a follower of rules. Although I am not terribly well disciplined or structured, I do understand how rules and guidelines make life function much more smoothly for families, teams, offices, classrooms, etc. Anytime a group gathers to interact there has to be a designated leader and agreed upon boundaries. Otherwise, life becomes utter chaos at best. Image trying to navigate traffic if everyone could set their own laws and standards of behavior.

Benedict understood that there needed to be some structures in place to deal with wrongdoing--whether it be intentional, through ignorance or through malice. He also understood that it is much easier to deal with issues before they become ingrained in us as habits or patterns. In his teaching, Benedict refers to the story of Eli and his sons from 1 Samuel. This passage places the sons of Eli next to the youth Samuel as a contract to one another. While the sons of Eli would abuse the people and even steal from the ritual sacrifice for their own benefit; Samuel is shown to be a youth committed to serving the Lord in the temple and being in close relationship to God. Samuel is called by God in the middle of the night and given a message for Eli about his sons and their behavior. Even after the message is delivered, Eli seems helpless in getting his sons to acknowledge their wrongdoing and repent. Therefore the sons of Eli are slaughtered in battle and Samuel continues to thrive in God's presence.

Although I might not be at the level of Eli's sons, there is a tendency within me at times to try to cut corners or at least to seek an easier way in life. It's okay to coast through life every once in a while (at least it seems like a good idea at the time). The problem is that once I start to cut corners--I quickly can get sloppy and lazy. What started out as a one time thing soon becomes a way of life. It is easier not to allow myself that much of a break in routine. I need to be watchful of the ways in which I can justify my actions and relax my normal patterns a little too much. Then it is easier to increase in virtue (which is my fundamental desire in life).

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment