Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Matter of Will

Today we begin the Prologue of the Rule once again. We are back at the beginning for another cycle of reading and study.

The question posed today by the reading is: Willingness or willfulness--which of these would best characterize my personality and my life? Although the root word is the same, there a distinct difference between the two concepts. Willingness implies an openness that offers a possibility for change and growth. Willfullness connotes a tendency toward doing my own will--sometimes to my detriment. The will itself is a good but it is the way that I choose to use it that can makes the difference.

There are times in my life that have been highlighted by both. As I begin this new round,


  • am I willing to listen to God's voice inviting me to open my heart to the possibility for growth or am I choosing to cling to my own way of doing things?

  • am I willing to follow my community's way of doing things even when my own particular method seems to be more efficient?

  • am I open to the possibility that others around me might have a fuller vision of life and wisdom or do I insist on maintaining my own views, opinions and attitudes?

Today, as I begin this new reading of the Rule, may I be open to the possibilities of growth that are presented to me through life.


Sr. Catherine, OSB




No comments:

Post a Comment