Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Living in Truth

Rid your heart of all deceit. RB80.4.24

Never give a hollow greeting of peace RB80.4.25

Bind yourself to no oath lest it prove false, but speak the truth with heart and tongue. RB80.4.27-28

Wonder what our world would look like if corporate leaders or leaders of nations were asked to speak the truth from their heart when dealing with mergers, corporate buy outs or issues of world economy or peace? Would there be an increase in compassion and a decline in greed? Would there be less suspicion among people? Would there be an increased desire to work cooperatively since more honesty and openness would be present?

These are some of the questions that arose as I listened to our reading from the Rule of St. Benedict today (Chapter 4: The Tools of Good Works). Since most corporate officials or world leaders are unlikely to adopt this way of being, then what can I do to help my corner of the world? How can I act differently in everyday life to impact the world around me?


  • I can act truthfully in my dealings--being sincere and direct in speech and action.

  • Become aware of my motivations and my impulses so that I can be a person of integrity but not at the expense of others dignity and value.

  • Remain grounded in prayer. Pray before I speak or act so that my speech and actions might proclaim God to others.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment