Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2011

In the Sight of Angels

This week the Church celebrates two feasts in honor of angels. Today is the feast of Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael, Archangels. On October 2, we celebrate the feast of the Guardian Angels.


St. Benedict reminds us today that God and his angels are watching us 24/7. When I was a young child, I had a very literal idea of what God's presence and the presence of the angels meant. I fully believed that God and the angels were with me everywhere and that they had a personal concern in my daily well-being. I found that a very comforting thought. Since I was an only child until the I was 8, I developed the concept that angels were my constant playmates.

Of course, as I grew older, I changed my perception of what this watchful care of God and angels meant to me personally. I found that I tended much more toward hiding from God at times--especially when I was wanting to run from God's presence and vigilance or when I was desiring a vacation my relationship with God.

Today, I want to be in closer union with God. I am tired of running away. I desire to live closer to my values and the qualities that I long to incorporate in my life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment