Search This Blog

Friday, September 16, 2011

Listening for the Spirit

As often as anything important is to be done in the monastery, the abbot shall call the whole community together and himself explain what the business is; and after hearing the advice of the brothers, let him ponder it and follow what he judges the wiser course. RB80.3.1-2

In making community decisions, Benedict asks that the leader call everyone together to discuss anything considered to be important for the whole group. This directive does not imply that everything needs to be discussed as a group--that could be somewhat unwieldy, especially if the community is large or if there are many issues to be decided.

The emphasis on all being asked about important matters is to allow the voice of the Holy Spirit to be heard by the superior through whatever channels might be available. The leader is remain open to the possiblity that the youngest or the oldest member might have some insight that might otherwise be missed or glossed over if the decision were not put before the entire group. After prayfully hearing what all have to say on the particular matter, the final decision still remains with the leader to do what is judged to be the best for the group. There is no assurance or obligation to follow the advice received if the superior sees a different course of action than what is suggested. The community's input is totally consultative in nature.

This passage reminds me to remain open to a wide variety of alternatives when making decisions; whether they be personal or ministry based decisions. I am also reminded of the responsibility I have to share my thoughts and concerns about issues that may have an impact on my life and the life of others. I need to remember to share my insights respectfully and humbly, not attaching my entire self-worth on the outcome or on the brilliance of my reasoning. I recently heard someone compare sharing of opinions and insights in a group to offering apples (or some other snack) to others. If someone in the group does not particularly care to accept what I am sharing or offering, I can detach from my opinions enough to understand that the person is not necessarily rejecting me as a person. Thinking in this way can allow me to place enough distance between myself and my thoughts so that when someone questions my suggests or does not agree it's not about ME as a person but actually about the suggestion.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment