Search This Blog

Monday, September 21, 2009

Being Holy


Do not aspire to be called holy before you really are, but first be holy that you may more truly be called so. (RB 4.62)


I grew up in a family that encouraged “looking good.” If we could not be perfect and well put together, we were encouraged to at least try to look good. And I learned the skill of “looking good” well.

How does that measure up against Benedict’s invitation to first become holy rather than striving to be called holy from appearances only? Benedict seems to realize that it is much more important to be sincere and authentic in life than to “look good.” It is much tougher to be holy throughout my whole self.

I am called to strive to be who I truly am every moment of every day.
Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment