Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Strong Kind of Monk

“Let us pass them by, then, and with the help of the Lord, proceed to draw up a plan for the strong kind, the cenobites.” (RB 1.13)



Living with others can be one of the challenging parts of our lives, yet also one of the most life-giving aspects. We all share the experience of living in “communities” of sorts. Whether it’s a family, a college dorm, a club, an office or a religious community, we all have the experience of living with and working with others.


For me, the challenge comes in learning to deal with all of the personalities and eccentricities of others. (Not that I would ever have some quirks of my own.) I am constantly called to have the same patience with others as I would like for them to have with me. It’s in learning to deal with my co-workers excessive need for organization and their being patient with my non-stop motion and chatter that we both grow in our ability to see beauty, uniqueness, strength and, yes, even God in the other.


Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment