Search This Blog

Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Roller-Coaster Ride


Without doubt, this descent and ascent can signify only that we descend by exaltation and ascend by humility. (RB 7.7)


Have you ever ridden a roller-coaster? Remember how the going up or ascent was unusually calm and peaceful and you found yourself quietly enjoying the sights? And remember how the coming down or descent left you breathless and exhilarated, and perhaps a little fearful, and you found yourself wildly waving your hands and screaming.

I think St. Benedict is telling us that the practice of humility is like a roller- coaster ride. Acquiring humility is like the ride to the top; it is always calm and peaceful and relaxing; it helps me face and accept the real me. Letting go of exaltation is like the ride to the bottom; it is always breath-taking and exhilarating, and fearful; I do not want to unmask and let others see the real me.


Sr. Veronica, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment