Search This Blog

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Silence


…there are times when good words are to be left unsaid out of esteem for silence. (RB 6.2)


It is a long standing joke with many who know me that I probably have not been silent since the moment I learned that words and sound have meaning. I am loud, animated and pretty chatty most times. This trait is an asset since my ministry requires that I spend all working hours speaking with others.


SO, how do I reconcile my natural tendency towards sound and words with Benedict’s directive on silence? Although I seem to be very comfortable in a non-silent world, there is part of me that is drawn to silence, introspection, solitude, stillness. Both are needed in life to create a balance. It is in silence that I find the substance for the words that I will use later.


Constant chatter without silence and reflection is pretty hollow.


Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment