Search This Blog

Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Lord's Prayer


Assuredly, the celebration of Lauds and Vespers must never pass by without the superior's reciting the entire Lord's Prayer at the end for all to hear, because thorns of contention are likely to spring up. (RB 13. 12)




In our community, the Lord's Prayer is recited at least 3 times daily in our common prayer. Benedict requires recitation of this prayer at least twice daily. Since we live in community and at times bitterness and resentments can arise, Benedict recommends that we also put forgiveness into practice daily.


The phrase "forgive us as we forgive" is meant to remind us that we should give others the same forgiveness and benefit of the doubt that we desire for ourselves. It is sometimes difficult for me to forgive those who have slighted me in some way. When I consider how much I have been forgiven any injury to me suddenly pales.


May God continue to be more gracious to me than I might tend to be to others.


Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment