Search This Blog

Monday, October 12, 2009

Reverence for God


As soon as the cantor begins to sing "Glory be to the Father," let all the monks rise from their seats in honor and reverence for the Holy Trinity. RB 9.7


It took me a while to get used to the extra standing and bowing which is part of the monastic office when I first entered. I could never get the rhythm of the movement and it seemed that I was just starting to get comfortable in my chair when it was time to stand and bow again. I just could not get the hang of it.


This passage from Chapter 9 of the Rule sets the rising and bowing into context. Just as we would stand in acknowledgment of a celebrity or recognized dignitary we should also stand and bow in the presence of God. We should acknowledge God's presence and bow in reverence at the mention of God's name.


Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment