Search This Blog

Saturday, October 10, 2009

No Pain, All Gain


Through this love, all that he once performed with dread, he will now begin to observe without effort… (RB 7.68)


When I took piano lessons growing up, I loved to play but hated the practice. I like the exhilaration I feel when exercising but hate getting sweaty and dirty. In school I was bright and got good grades but never really mastered the discipline of studying well. I hate practice and discipline but love the rewards of it.

The second half of this passage appeals to me—I want to have all the benefits of the twelve steps of humility but I don’t like the pain that is involved in mastering the skills and attitudes necessary. No pain, all gain.


By focusing on my love for God (and my desire to continue growing in that love), all that had seemed difficult or burdensome or impossible initially will become joy and pleasure. The key to this transformation is love and the knowledge that I am not alone in this task.


Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment