Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Benefitting the Community

Brothers will read and sing, not according to rank, but according to their ability to benefit their hearers. RB80.38.12

Not everyone who is literate or who can carry a tune is designated to be a lector or cantor in community.

In a religious community, readers and singers are essential at prayer times, at meal times and other times throughout the day. Benedict warns though that those chosen to read, sing or lead prayers need to show skill in fulfilling their role rather than let it be an honorary role. There needs to be adequate training and preparation before fulfilling these important tasks--not just the person who happens to stumble in and pick up the book.

This precept holds true even when I am a participant in prayers, rather than taking on a special role. I need to be prepared (with my books marked) and fully present during our prayer times. I need to be aware of those around me and be sensitive to their needs so that I do not disrupt others through excessive movement, random whispers or other minor distractions.

What am I doing today to be fully present to community today in our common prayer?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment