Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Being a Good Patient

Let the sick on their part bear in mind that they are served out of honor for God, and let them not by their excessive demands distress their brothers who serve them. RB80.36.4

I am fortunate to have been blessed with very good health. My health is a blessing to me and also to those who live with me because I am not sure how good a patient I would be if I was ever really ill.

First, I am not a fan of pain in any form. As soon as I feel a headache, a toothache or itch coming on, I know that whining and complaining is probably not far behind. I can stand pain or discomfort about 30 seconds, then it's time to look for a way out.

Second, patience is not a hallmark of my personality. I am definitely a person who wants everything right now--as soon as I think of it. Unfortunately, relief from pain is usually not quite so automatic. I can not will my pain away, although I might be tempted to try.

Third, I am not one to suffer quietly, if something is wrong, I really believe that everyone around needs to know about it and share my misery.

That being said, how does today's reading about Care for the Sick help me to grow in this aspect of my life?

Benedict reminds the one who is ill that the care and respect offered are out of love of Christ. The person in need is to be humble in all their needs not demanding and overbearing. The sick are to remember that for that particular instance they are taking the place of the weak Christ in the community.

When I can recall these things, I am less likely to be demanding, impatient, and disagreeable and to be humble in my requests.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment