Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The More Vulnerable

Since their lack of strength must always be taken into account, they should certainly not be required to follow the strictness of the rule with regard to food, but should be treated with kindly consideration and allowed to eat before the regular hours. RB80.37.2-3

Chapters 36 and 37 of the Rule of Benedict deal with the sick (chapter 36) and the elderly and the young (chapter 37). These two chapters deal with those who are especially vulnerable and defenceless and can easily be forgotten. Benedict requires that special care be given to those who have special needs but might not be able to advocate for themselves. He relates our treatment of those with special concerns with the Gospel scene from Matthew 25.34-40.

What are some practical ways through which I can be compassionate and aware of the needs of all in the group--whether family, team, office or community?

  1. Remembering to treat all as individuals. Taking the time to be aware of the special issues which might be troublesome and relevant for each person. What are the stumbling blocks to avoid?
  2. Use the same compassion towards others that I would like to receive myself. Taking the Golden Rule a step further.
  3. Not set my expectations or standards unreasonably high. I usually have more issues when I set my personal expectations at a level higher than humanly possible (either for myself or others).
  4. Take time to slow down before reacting. Problems arise when I expect everyone to have the some values or beliefs that I have.

God calls me daily to be open and compassionate towards those I encounter daily because it is through relationships that I grow in holiness and self-awareness.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment