Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Proper Timing

Necessary items are to be requested and given at the proper times, so that no one may be disquieted or distressed in the house of God. RB80.31.18-19

Timing is everything. The timing of a legitimate request and the filling of the request can make a person's day more stressful, more anxiety producing or more calm and peaceful. If I am not sure exactly when my need will be filled after I have politely asked, I can become more worried or hypervigilant. That is unnecessary stress for everyone involved--for me, for the person filling the request and for those around me.

As the person filling the request of another, Benedict continually reminds me that I should not use whatever power I may have at the time to stress others out, to see how much they can beg before I fulfill their request. That would not be in the realm of proper use of authority in any group, it would be more like tyranny. Benedict reminds the person designated to fill the material needs of the community to be humble and gentle in filling needs even when the answer must be "No" to someone.

How do I respond when others ask me for something?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment