Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

A Need for Structure

Idleness is the enemy of the soul. Therefore, the brothers should have specified periods for manual labor as well as for prayerful reading. RB80.48.1 As much as I crave unstructured time everyday, time to just be, I know that too much lack of structure and responsibilities can be more a hindrance to my well being than a help. Since childhood, I have dreamed of having entire hours just to read, or sit and think and day dream, or write and be creative. The reality is, however, that when I have had those treasured opportunities I soon get bored and start looking for more interesting endeavors. A little free time goes a real long way with me and unfortunately too much time on my hands leads to ennui and often laziness. So, how do I strike a balance in life? Verse 1 from Chapter 48 gives the beginnings of an answer for me. Realizing that there needs to be a balance between free time and scheduled activity, including a small dose of free/fun time everyday (like 1 or 2 hours) might help me start finding the balance that I need. This free time can also be scheduled so that I do not totally forget to include my need for time to just be--which I sometimes can. I need to remember to include times for exercise, rest, reading, personal prayer, and personal care. This is not to say that I can do this perfectly since I am still a work in progress. I strive each day to be a little better than the last. What am I doing today to achieve a balance in my life? Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment