Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

Providing Choices

It is often easier to get folks to agree to things if they are given some choice and voice in the matter. Today, Benedict talks to us about the food to be provided at meals. He recommends that two cooked options be available at meals so that those who may not choose one entree would still have another option available. Once again St. Benedict's wisdom and familiarity with human nature is shown since he realized that not everything in a person's life needs to be legislated and that in some cases some choice even a small one might be beneficial.

I can really appreciate this thinking in a very practical way in my life. Growing up I was an extremely picky eater. The list of non-edible foods was much longer than the list of acceptable ones. I never went hungry for long so I must have found some things that I liked. As I grew and began having more of a social life, my parents helped me to realize that while pickiness might be mildly accepted at home it was totally unacceptable in other's homes and in public. I could choose to widen my eating experience and have plenty of opportunities to grow or I could remain how I was and have many less options. It did not take me long to acquire a taste so some things that I would never have thought I could stomach.

The same applies for me in many other instances. How can I offer others choices so that they may grow to their potential?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment