Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Free Disposal of Body and Will

We mean that without an order from the abbot, no one may presume to give, receive or retain anything as his own, nothing at all--not a book, writing tablets or stylus--in short, not a single item, especially since monks may not have the free disposal even of their own bodies and wills. RB80.33.2-4


I am reminded once again that life on earth is transitory and that all those things which I am tempted to consider my own and essential to my life are only temporary loans. That is hard for me to accept, especially since I grew up in a family that taught me that I could be the master of my own destiny and that control was ultimate power.

So, what can I do with this new reality? I can I live peacefully knowing that I am basically dependent on God and others for my daily life?

  • I can practice trust everyday. Trust in God and trust in those whom God has placed over me on this journey. I do not need to know everything or be in full control all the time.
  • I can write down my fears and anxieties and present them to God daily (or hourly, if necessary).
  • I can take time at the beginning and the end of the day to just "be". It can be as little as five minutes to just sit and do nothing but be.

These are just some of the ways in which I can practice my trust and my awareness of my dependence on God and God's mercy today.

Sr. Catherine, OSB


No comments:

Post a Comment