Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

My Carelessness

...for failing to correct by humility the wrong committed through negligence. RB80.45.2

If I am not awake and present to the task at hand, it is often easy for me to be distracted and careless in the way I carry out my tasks. I can often convince myself that being not fully present and attentive is not really hurting anyone (well maybe myself but not in a significant way). After all if my mind is quick enough to multitask, what is wrong with using that 90 second pause between the reading and the response at community prayers to plan tonight's menu for dinner, rehearse the difficult phone call I need to make or mental pack for my next trip? Isn't that just a way of being more efficient and effective with my time?

What I have found out for myself is that I spend a lot of time trying to catch up when I try to mentally "multitask" when it comes to prayers, relationships and conversations with others. I am much for likely to be less engaged, careless and often miss vital information when I am overly distracted internally. For me, it is a subtle way of asserting that my needs and my concerns at this time are more important that those of the group, of the other person or of God. In a sense, I have better things to do and right now my body is just fulfilling a duty.

Is that what I am really trying to convey to others? Is that really helping me and others be the best they can be? How am I showing my respect for others today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

1 comment:

  1. when we do that, busy ourselves mentally, we not only miss vital information, but we miss the silence. Silence is an angel of God. Thank you Sr. Catherine.

    ReplyDelete