Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Enclosure and Stability

Now the workshop in which we shall diligently execute all these tasks is the enclosure of the monastery and stability in the community. RB 4

After listing all 72 "tools" of good works that are to be desired, Benedict tells us that the place where we get practice in using these tools skillfully is in the enclosure of the monastery and in stability in community. In other words, the place where we become skillful in using these tools is the whatever community setting life has give us--whether it be the family, a friendship, a work team, an office, a classroom, or a monastery.

It is in the sticking through things together, working through our difficulties, being God's presence for one another that we truly learn to be patient, generous, loving and kind. Definitely not what I want to hear on some days, when the last thing I want to be is patient and forgiving (when will others be patient with me), or understanding of someone else's life issues.

It is in that going just one step further that true growth happens for me and sometimes God's grace for me even surprises me.

Which tool do I need to practice using today?

Sr. Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment