Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Being Exempt

I remember when I was a just a young sister in the community and one of the older professed sisters said to me, “Just wait until you are professed and you won’t have to help with dishes and housecleaning and other mundane tasks.” Well, time passed and our membership dwindled and now I am one of the older professed sisters and I still help with the dishes and the cooking and the other mundane tasks of keeping up a home. And I am pleased not to be exempt from such tasks.

Sometimes, in a family we think we are exempt from doing whatever we can to make our home a joyful, pleasant place. Benedict tells us in Chapter 3 of his Rule, “all are to follow the teachings of the rule”…”no one is the follow his own heart’s desire.”

Sr. Veronica, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment