Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

Fighting the Vices of Body and Mind

Although I see a value in discipline and training, I would not consider myself a fan of strict discipline or practice. I tend to like unstructure in my life a little too much. That is unusual for me considering that most of my upbringing and a large part of my adult life has required me to live a very precise life. I also function well in a structured environment although it is not my preference.

St. Benedict in describing the anchorites/hermits talks about their disciplined life. It is their disciplined lifestyle that has prepared them to battle against evil and vices on their own. It takes a very strong person to be able to undertake the spiritual journey without companions--that is a strength that I neither possess nor aspire towards. I am much to social of a person to desire solitude as a way of life.

There is a strength which is present in community also. It is that strength which allows us to be there for each other every day in good times and in difficult, through laughter and through tears at times. I see that strength daily in my Sisters, I aspire for that strength...a strength that comes from being there for each other and being one with each other. I pray for many more years of learning this type of strength.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment