Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Good Shepherds

Let him faithfully shepherd his flock.

Jesus, speaking about us, said: “They are like sheep without a shepherd.” Do you know anything about sheep? They are considered stupid animals; their IQ level is in the single digits. They need a shepherd to take care of them. Once a visitor to the Holy Land came to see a shepherd; he wanted to learn something about sheep. He noted that the pen where the sheep spent the night had no gate. He remarked to the shepherd that he must have an easy job keeping the sheep in the pen and the wild animals out. The wise old shepherd said, “I am glad to tell you about sheep. I am the gate for the pen; the opening is my bedroom for the night. I lead them to good pastures and quiet waters. I will lay down my life for my sheep.”

In Chapter 2 of the Rule, St. Benedict is telling the abbot to faithfully shepherd his flock. He must be the good shepherd nourishing his flock with good example and words of wisdom. We are all shepherds; we are never off duty. We are to nourish one another and those whose lives we touch with good example and words of wisdom.

Sr. Veronica, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment