Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Humility--More Than A Feeling

When I was a young Sister, we had a chaplain who would tell us regularly that love was more than an itchy feeling around the heart. We heard the statement over and over again and even made jokes about it. Slowly, though we began to grasp the meaning behind the words...love is much more a decision than it is a feeling of any sort. It is a way of life.

Recently, when I was reflecting about humility, I realized that humility is more than just a feeling or sense that I am less than everyone else, that I am the bottom of the totem pole, or a door mat. Humility is more about being confident in the truth about who I am (my creaturehood) in relation to God and the rest of creation. If I am truly humble, I do not have to be right every time nor do I have to be wrong every time. I do not have to be perfect or look perfect. I can be a work in progress and commit myself everyday to growth and progress. I can also be confident of my place in the universe.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment