Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Keeping Silence

Many times my mind and my mouth do not seem to belong to the same person. I seem to lack a filtering device that stops me from blurting out the very first thing that comes to my mind. There are times when my tendency toward honesty and sincerity comes in conflict with basic politeness. I need to remember to take a few seconds to think before I speak. Just enough time to weigh the possible consequences of my words.

For example, when someone asks me how I am doing, is the person asking to be polite or do they really what to know about the pain in my right knee and my migraine. If someone does something radically different with their hair would it be better to not mention the new orange frizz or to say something like--"What do you do to your hair?" When someone makes a mistake in public is it better to point it out right then or to wait until later or not mention it at all?

These are all part of my learning process with silence and the use of words.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment