Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2010

Acting Differently

Your way of acting should be different from the world's way; the love of Christ must come before all else. (RB 4:20-21)

Part of me longs to be separated from the world or to be able to proclaim that I am a Christian by my very being. People should be able to tell that there is something intrinsically different about me just in the way I am naturally. I am realistic enough to know, however, that the chance of that happening in daily life is sometimes minimal at best.

It is not easy to act like a Christian at all times--but why should it be difficult? Isn't that who I really am? Isn't that what we are called to be--to be our best selves?

When I look at the second part of this passage I am reminded of the source and inspiration of all that makes me who I am--the love relationship with Christ. God's love for me and my attempts at love back to God. It is the love--that is the essential factor in making my way of behaving radically different from the world's way.

Although I will probably continue to struggle with this throughout my life, it is the love of God which continues to urge me forward.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment