Search This Blog

Friday, June 3, 2011

Let the Truth Come to Light

The fifth step of humility is that a man does not conceal from his abbot any sinful thoughts entering his heart, or any wrongs committed in secret, but rather confesses them humbly. RB80.7.44

There is a blessing in being a person who is so extroverted that there are few thoughts that cross my mind, actions committed or opinions held that my whole known world does not know about in it's entirety. The expression TMI (too much information:)) seems to have be formulated with me in mind.

While it can be a curse at times--as in I often find myself saying more than I should multiple times a day, it is also a great blessing and source of growth for me if used properly. It is a way for me to be able to hold myself accountable for my growth and to take responsibility for my missteps. Since I am a person that thrives on being super successful (if not perfect), I often find myself reflecting on my past actions and thoughts and striving always to improve and continue on the road that leads to God.

Since I am also a very social being, I try as much as possible to curb my attitudes and behaviors and make them at least be as consistent as possible with my own belief system and my values. It helps that I have tons of energy and do not believe in half measures of anything.

A question that I ask myself often is: Would I be embarrassed if others knew this about me? It helps keep me honest and sincere in life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment