Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

No Need To Be a Superstar

The eighth step of humility is that a monk does only what is endorsed by the common rule of the monastery and the example set by this superiors. RB80.7.55

I have a tendency to want to be the center of the universe always. This fact is blatantly obvious to most who have known me for very long.

The eighth step of humility, though, encourages me to consider the benefits which are available to those who are willing to be one of the group. I am challenged to be open to the fact that the group's wellbeing as well as the community wisdom might be more in tune with God's will for me. I do not have the answer to all issues. And as bright as I might be I am not always a fountain of wisdom and truth.

Sometimes that is hard for me to understand and accept. Afterall, I love doing things my way so why shouldn't I invite others to do things my way also? I need to remember that part of being a good community member is faithfulness to the common practices and support for the common good. Ultimately, what is good for the group will be good for me also. I just need to remember that.

Today's question for me is: What am I doing to build up community spirit and bonds?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment