Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

Reverence At Prayer

We must know that God regards our purity of heart and tears of compunction, not our many words. RB80.20.3

Purity of heart....that has been my major life desire since youth. For me, purity of heart is a combination of authenticity, sincerity, integrity and radical honesty. Those are all virtues that I strive for in my life and that I value in my relationships with others. But, how can I live fully engaged with life in this way fully? That has been my eternal question.

The second part of this verse--shedding tears of compunction in prayer seems to be the key to this query. Tears have always been a part of my life but they have never really been my friends. I do not enjoy showing that extremely vulnerable part of myself that is moved to tears by compassion, love, sadness, anger and even joy. I would really much rather spend my life being invulnerable and self-sufficient.

Today's reading invites me to put aside my veneer of composure and risk being human--fully human in the face of God and others. Life does not call me to be involunerable.

How am I living in truth with God today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment