Search This Blog

Monday, June 13, 2011

Living the Scriptures

The readings from the Rule at this point address community prayer--how the prayer is to be structured, what psalms are recited at each hour, all the practical aspects of praying as a group.

One of the things that strikes me from our passage from Chapter 10 of the Rule (today's selection) is the mention of the reading from Scripture being recited by heart. I happen to have a good memory and find memorizing selections from literature fairly easy. In order for me to be able to memorize and recite a piece fluidly, I need to make the passage part of who I am. I need to develop a relationship with it and incorporate it into my daily life.

That is what ideally should happen to my from praying the psalms daily and from my personal lectio. After engaging with Scripture daily over a period of time, whether 5 years, 50, 70 or a lifetime, ideally my own life would be a version of the Scripture....a vibrant retelling of God's message of love to the world.

I need to ask myself regularly: is the Gospel message that I am living authentic and life-giving? Is it the message that will attract others to follow Christ and to consider living our monastic way of life?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment