Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Rising for the Glory Be

We are preparing to celebrate the great feast in honor of the Holy Trinity. On this feast we acknowledge the great mystery that God is Three--yet--One. Although there is only One God (One Person) there are three distinct roles within the One. In a sense, God is the first model of community available to us.

During the Liturgy of the Hours (Divine Office), we traditionally stand and bow during the Doxology (Glory Be) at the conclusion of the psalms and the Benedictus and Magnificat (Gospel Canticles during prayer). We bow out of reverence to our Triune God and in acknowledgement of the wonder of the great mystery before which we stand and live.

There are countless times during my day when I stand before the presence of God in my ordinary encounters. If I truly believe that God exists within the heart of each person I meet and within each moment of my life, my day could be a perpetual bow to the presence of God in everything. Since this is not physically possible or practical, I need to work on cultivating an interior attitude which speaks of this reality. It needs to be an intention effort on my part. If I choose to live this reality, I might find myself more compassionate, accepting and a whole lot less stressed.

What small things can I do today to engender that attitude within my soul?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment