Search This Blog

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Dialogue and Obedience

When I first entered our monastic community, I had a long list of things that were not my realm of possibility, things that I knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that I did not want to do, should not have to do and basically would never do without a whole lot of arguing and grumbling. After all, I was 23 yrs old and still thought that I knew everything.

One of the things that has changed in the last 20+ years is that my list of I can'ts has definitely gotten shorter. Here are some examples from my list:

THINGS I'LL NEVER DO......THINGS I HAVE HAD TO DO

  1. drive in anything more solid than water......get home from ministry on a snowy day
  2. eat unfamiliar foods......eat whatever is offered
  3. teach......get a degree in education
  4. type or use computers.....50% of my life is now computerized
  5. sew......if I have to I can do it
  6. drive a large car.......drive a van or a truck

Granted, these are not monumental things but they are examples of what can be accomplished if there is a willingness to at least try something different and allow God's grace to help. One thing I have learned over the years is that if I am willing to at least try there are usually plenty of folks who are willing to support the efforts.

Sr. Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment