Search This Blog

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Multigenerational Living


One of the blessings that I received from my family growing up was that I was able to live in a multigenerational setting.

Until I was 20, I lived with parents, siblings and at least one grandparent in our home. Although that is not terribly amazing, the experience gave me the opportunity to learn how to interact with those much older and much younger than myself. I learned about appreciating the wisdom that comes with age, valuing elders, caring for those who might be frail and live at a different pace. I also learned to treasure oral history. My grandmother, Tina, was not very educated but I learned to listen to her stories and memories and to love my time with her.

When I entered community, I was able to transfer many of my skills from growing up to daily life. I found that what I had learned at home prepared me to naturally accept many of our older sisters as my new wisdom figures and mentors for living this life. I thank God daily for these great women.

If you are interested in learning more about St. Joseph Monastery or about becoming an Oblate to our community please visit our website: stjosephmonastery.org.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment